Lunchbox Treat: The Cereal Bar
- ¼ cup canola oil, plus more for greasing the pan or parchment (I used cooking spray for that part)
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups puffed millet or puffed rice cereal (I used rice krispies)
- 1 ½ cups loosely packed chopped dried fruit (I used golden raisins, blueberries, and apricots)
- 1 ½ cups toasted sliced almonds (Since my son’s school is nut-free, I used a mixture of roasted and salted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used mini chocolate chips)
- ½ cup brown rice syrup (available at whole foods)
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Purchasing with Amazon Smile enables The AmazonSmile Foundation to donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to a charity of your choice.
Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish or line the dish with parchment and grease the parchment. In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, puffed rice, dried fruit, almonds, cinnamon, salt, and chocolate chips.
Stir it all together really well.
In a medium saucepan, combine the brown rice syrup, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla. Stir frequently over medium-high heat until 1 minute past boiling. This happens pretty quickly.
Pour the syrup over the mixture in the bowl
Stir to coat thoroughly.
Spread the mixture into the pan, press down with a spatula, and refrigerate for one hour. Don’t forget to lick the spatula.
Cut into bars and pack into lunches! Bon Appetit!